You’re the Boss! Self-Employment Strategies for Music Therapists
© 2012 ISBN 978-0-9617272-4-6
Cathy Knoll, MA, MT-BC
and Dellinda Henry, MEd, MT-BC
Eco-friendly edition $20.00
Optional 20 CMTE credits $100.00
You’re the Boss: Self-Employment Strategies for Music Therapists is a professional self-study e-course featuring a detailed road map guiding participants through each step necessary for establishing contractual services, consultative services, and private practice. Dozens of music therapists have used the guidelines in this course to establish successful music therapy businesses. The new eco-friendly edition of this professional e-course from Music Works Publications includes a pdf workbook to read on any device, or to download and print. You can listen to the audio discussion on any device, or you can burn a CD. You’re the Boss covers these topics:
- Consider This + Pros and cons of self-employment + Personal and professional inventory + Do you have what it takes?
- Take The First Step + Employment options + Market research + Locating potential customers + Developing a business plan
- What About Money? + Business structure + Resources + Budget + Benefits + Bookkeeping + Taxes + Insurance + Funding options + Setting fees
- Attend To The Details + Organization + Equipment, materials, and supplies + Schedule + Policies and procedures + Contracts
- Sell Your Services + Marketing plan + Marketing tools + Maximizing media + Effective proposals + Getting your foot in the door
- Set Up Your Office + Location + Ambiance + Equipment + Future growth
- Dive In! + Quality services + Commitment + Effective planning + Assessments + Documentation + Evaluation
- Take Care of Yourself + Balance + Priorities + Time + Stress + Getting along with difficult people
- Invest In Success + Public relations + Job development + Professional growth + Networking + Diversification + Motivation
Optional CMTE credits. Music therapists can receive 20 hours of pre-approved CMTE credit by submitting written assignments chosen from options in each chapter. The CMTE fee of $100 – only $5 per credit hour – is due when you submit your packet for CMTE credit. You can take the course now and apply for CMTE credit anytime in the future. See the CMTE Information page for complete details.
Learning Objectives and 2010 CBMT Scope of Practice for You’re the Boss. Participants will:
1. Assess their professional strengths, weaknesses, priorities, and employment options (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, A. Professional Development 1-9 and B. Professional Responsibilities 2 -17).
2. Determine financial requirements for self-employment (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, B. Professional Responsibilities, 5, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14).
3. Develop a comprehensive business plan for a private practice, consultative services, or a music therapy clinic (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: III. Ongoing Documentation and Evaluation of Treatment, A. Documentation 1, 2, 4. 6, 7 and IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, A. Professional Development 1-9 and B. Professional Responsibilities 1-17).
4. Develop policies, procedures, marketing tools, schedules, and documentation necessary for a music therapist who is self-employed (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: III. Ongoing Documentation and Evaluation of Treatment, A. Documentation 1, 2, 4. 6, 7 and IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, A. Professional Development 1-9 and B. Professional Responsibilities 1-17).
5. Develop action plans for professional growth, crisis resolution, networking/peer counseling and problem solving for self-employed music therapists (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, A. Professional Development 1-9 and B. Professional Responsibilities 1 -17).
Statement of relationship to CBMT: You’re the Boss is approved by the Certification Board of Music Therapists (CBMT) for 20 Continuing Music Therapy Education credits (CMTE). Credits awarded by CBMT are accepted by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC). Music Works Publications, S-001, maintains responsibility for program quality and adherence to CBMT policies and criteria. See the CMTE Information page for details.
Note: Original © 1996 Revised 2000, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012.